- Developer Guides
Start a Netlify Create Project
Identify and follow the appropriate method for starting your Netlify Create project.
There are a number of different approaches to starting new Netlify Create projects. This doc first helps you identify the proper working mode for your new project, then provides the steps necessary to begin working with Netlify Create.
Typical Learning Paths
While everyone's path is unique, we've seen our users have the most success when following these paths.
Non-Developers (Marketers, Designers, Leadership, etc.):
- Create a demo site and click around to get an initial feel for Netlify Create.
- Talk with an expert to learn more about Netlify Create and ask specific questions.
- Learn the basics by following the tutorial and reading core concepts.
- Create a new local project or immediately begin integrating Netlify Create into their site (also by working locally).
Identifying the Right Working Mode
Here are the common scenarios in which users create new projects, organized by your role and what you aim to achieve with your Netlify Create project.
New Projects for Non-Developers
Netlify Create projects are generally built by developers. If you're looking to build a website and don't have a developer, talk to us.
Otherwise, content editors, designers, and other non-technical users looking to demo or evaluate Netlify Create should create a new project from a starter.
Be sure to choose a full website demo (not a minimal starter) to see a wider range of capabilities.
New Developer Project
Developers have a number of options, depending on what you're looking to accomplish. Here are some suggestions, though you can also explore the creation modes below or contact us if you're unsure how to proceed.
- Learning the Basics: Read How Netlify Create Works and follow a tutorial with your preferred stack.
- Evaluating Netlify Create: Follow a getting started tutorial, using your preferred stack.
- Starting a Project from Scratch: After learning the basics, use
npx create-stackbit-appto begin locally.
- Integrating Netlify Create into an Existing Project: After the basics, follow the appropriate framework guide.
- Adding Content Editors: Create a new cloud project from a GitHub repository.
- Duplicate Existing Project: Create a new cloud project from an existing GitHub repository.
Below are a number of scenarios that each explain a specific mode for starting a new project.
Starting with Local Development
When you want to start a new project locally from scratch, use the
If you already have a project and want to integrate Netlify Create, refer to our framework integration guides.
New Cloud Project from Starter
To create a new project from a starter or demo, visit the new project screen and choose the appropriate project.
Give it a name and click Create Site.
New Cloud Project from GitHub Repository
Then choose Use my repository, authenticate with GitHub, and set the appropriate options. Click the Configure button if necessary to ensure Netlify Create has the appropriate access to your repository. Learn more about required GitHub permissions.
Note the following in the screenshot above:
- The configure button can help you reset Netlify Create's permissions for your GitHub account. This may be necessary if you don't see the repo in the list.
- The list of repositories Netlify Create can access via your user.
- Netlify Create automatically validates that you have a valid Netlify Create configuration.
- Advanced options allow you to set the primary branch and a root directory (for monorepo support).
Click Next to move on to the final step. In the last step, you can set your project name and working Git branch. Learn more about Git branches in Netlify Create.
Duplicating a Project
Duplicating a project follows the same process as creating from GitHub, with a few exceptions:
- Choose Duplicate repository rather than Use my repository.
- You must know the URL to the GitHub repository.