Understand methods for adjusting code and content in Netlify Create.
# Editing methods
Netlify Create's visual editing application provides four different ways to directly edit code and content.
- Page Editor: editing panel that changes based on the context of the current page in the preview.
- Content Editor: classic CMS mode, with the ability to edit content within page and data models.
- Code Editor: browser-embedded text editor that saves and automatically commits changes.
- Inline Editor: highlights around elements in the preview that enable direct, in-place editing.
While inline editing is done directly on the preview, all others are enabled through icons on the left sidebar in the visual editing application.
# Page editor
The page editor is a panel on the left side of the screen that changes context based on actions taken within the preview and sitemap navigator.
Learn more about Netlify Create's page editor
# Content editor
The content editor provides a means to quickly edit structured pages and data objects. This is similar to traditional form-based editing within a CMS.
Learn more about Netlify Create's content editor
# Code editor
The code editor can be used to make code changes directly in Netlify Create. Every change is automatically committed to the working branch in the remote repository.
The code editor is only available in cloud projects, since you can use your code editor when working locally.
Learn more about Netlify Create's code editor
# Inline editor
The visual editor provides the ability to make changes directly in the preview by clicking directly on editable content.
Learn more about Netlify Create's inline editor
# Editor extensions
These editing methods can be further customized with various editing features.
- Sidebar Shortcuts customize sidebar buttons in the visual editor.
- Field Controls: how form fields are displayed for content editors.
- Field Groups: tidy up form fields into tabbed groups.
- Custom Fields: bring your own field controls.
# Sidebar shortcuts
Custom buttons can be added to the sidebar as direct links and shortcuts to content or editing controls.
Learn more about customizing the sidebar
# Field controls
Netlify Create infers field editor controls as best as possible. Fields can then be further customized through model extensions.
Learn more about customizing field controls
# Field groups
Fields can be broken up into tabbed groups for better organization when using the page or content editors.
Learn more about grouping fields
# Custom fields
When the default field controls are not enough, you can bring your own custom field controls.
Learn more about custom fields
# Additional features
This section contains additional features to aid with visual editing.
# Document statuses
Document titles are paired with labels (in some cases) to indicate their current status, providing a quick visual representation of the state of content.
Learn more about document status labels
Did you find this doc useful?
Your feedback helps us improve our docs.